You take your vehicle in for regular tune-ups and oil changes, but there are many other services that can help extend the life of your car, truck, or SUV.
From simple check-ups to more involved tasks like flushing your coolant system, making sure these 10 overlooked services are performed on schedule will help keep your vehicle running smoothly for years to come.
Regular oil changes
One of the most important things you can do to extend the life of your vehicle is to get regular oil changes.
Motor oil helps to keep your engine clean and running smoothly. Over time, motor oil gets dirty and can start to break down. This can cause damage to your engine. Getting regular oil changes helps to prevent this damage.
Another important service that can help to extend the life of your vehicle is regular tire rotations. Tire rotations help to even out the wear on your tires.
If you don’t rotate your tires, they will wear down unevenly. This can cause premature tire failure. Rotating your tires every 5,000 miles or so can help to prevent this from happening.
If you take good care of your vehicle and get regular maintenance done, it will last longer and run better. Don’t neglect simple services like oil changes and tire rotations – they can make a big difference in how long your vehicle lasts.
Tire rotations and tire pressure checks
- Tire rotations and tire pressure checks are two overlooked services that can extend the life of your vehicle.
- Tire rotations help to evenly wear down the tread on your tires. This helps to prevent bald spots and uneven wear, which can lead to premature tire failure.
- Tire pressure checks help to ensure that your tires are properly inflated. This helps to improve fuel efficiency and prevents flats.
- Both tire rotations and tire pressure checks are relatively inexpensive and easy to do. They should be done every few months or as recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer.
- Neglecting these simple services can lead to expensive repairs or even replacements down the road. Make sure to add them to your regular maintenance schedule to help keep your vehicle running at its best.
1. Coolant flushes are an often overlooked service that can extend the life of your vehicle. Coolant helps to keep your engine cool, and a build-up of contaminants can cause it to become less effective over time.
A coolant flush will remove all the old coolant from your system and replace it with fresh coolant. This can help to prevent engine overheating and extend the life of your engine.
2. Another often overlooked service is a transmission flush. Over time, your transmission fluid can become contaminated with debris and dirt. This can cause your transmission to work less efficiently and may eventually lead to transmission failure.
A transmission flush will remove all the old fluid from your system and replace it with fresh fluid. This can help to prevent transmission problems and extend the life of your vehicle.
3. A third often overlooked service is a power steering flush. Power steering fluid helps to keep your power steering system working properly. Over time, this fluid can become contaminated with debris and dirt.
This can cause your power steering system to work less efficiently and may eventually lead to power steering failure. A power steering flush will remove all the old fluid from your system and replace it with fresh fluid. This can help to prevent
Brake pad replacements
1. Brake pad replacements are one of the most important services that can extend the life of your vehicle. Over time, brake pads wear down and need to be replaced. If they are not replaced, they can cause damage to your brake system.
2. Wheel alignments are another important service that can extend the life of your vehicle. If your wheels are not properly aligned, it can cause premature tire wear and damage to your suspension.
3. Regular oil changes are also important for extending the life of your vehicle. When oil breaks down, it can cause engine damage. By changing your oil regularly, you can help to prevent this type of damage.
4. Finally, regular maintenance on your vehicle can help to extend its life. This includes things like tune-ups, brake system flushes, and coolant system flushes. By keeping up with regular maintenance, you can help to keep your vehicle in good condition for many years to come.
Power steering fluid flushes
One of the most underrated services that can help extend the life of your vehicle is power steering fluid flushes. This service is typically performed when the car begins to feel rough or when it starts to make unusual noises.
Power steering fluid is a critical part of the power steering system. It helps to lubricate and improve the performance of the power steering pump. Over time, this fluid can become contaminated with dirt, dust, and other particles. When this happens, it can cause the power steering system to fail.
A power steering fluid flush is a simple and affordable way to keep your vehicle in good condition and prolong its life. It’s also a service that most drivers don’t usually think about performing. But, it’s definitely worth taking advantage of if you notice any problems with your power steering system.
One of the most important services you can do to your vehicle is to have it serviced regularly. This includes everything from changing the oil and filter to checking the transmission fluid and brakes.
Transmission service is especially important because it can help to extend the life of your car by ensuring that the gears are in good condition and that the transmission is functioning properly. In addition, transmission services can also prevent problems from arising in the future.
If you’re having trouble with your car, don’t hesitate to call a technician for a consultation. They will be able to diagnose the problem and recommend the best course of action for you.
Windshield wiper replacement
One of the most common services that mechanics overlook is windshield wiper replacement. Wipers are an essential part of keeping your car clean and clear, and they can last for up to 12 months without needing to be replaced.
If your wipers aren’t working properly, the rain and snow will start to accumulate on the windshield. This will make it difficult to see out of the car, and it could also lead to a serious accident. If you notice that your wipers are not working correctly, it is important to have them replaced as soon as possible.
Battery tests and replacements
One of the most important services that you can perform on your car is to regularly have it tested for battery life and replaced if necessary.
Battery tests can help to identify problems early and replace the battery before it fails. This will ensure that your car has a long life, and you will be able to take advantage of all the features that it has to offer.
Another service that you can perform on your car is to have the oil changed. This will help to keep the engine running smoothly and protect it from damage. It also keeps the car looking beautiful, by protecting the finish.
One overlooked service that can help preserve the life of your car is emissions testing. Emissions testing helps to identify and fix any problems with your car’s emissions system.
This can prevent serious problems down the road, such as engine failure and poor fuel economy. It’s important to have your car’s emissions tested every year or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Another service that can help preserve the life of your car is regular oil changes. Oiling your car regularly helps keep its engine running smoothly and prevents it from breaking down later on. A broken engine can cause a lot of trouble, including mechanical problems and decreased fuel economy.
It’s important to take care of your car so that it lasts long into the future. By investing in emissions testing and regular oil changes, you can help keep your car running smoothly and efficiently for years to come.
Air filter replacements
One of the most important services that you can perform on your car is to replace the air filter. Filters are worn out over time and can cause your car to run poorly. Not only will a new air filter help to improve performance, but it can also extend the life of your car.
- To replace your air filter follow these points:
- Remove the cover on the hood of your car.
- Remove the air cleaner element from the front of the engine.
- Install a new air filter by replacing the four screws that hold it in place. Be sure to clean all debris from the air cleaner element before replacing it.
It can be hard to keep up with the ever-changing automotive industry, but neglecting some of your regular services could lead to premature wear and tear on your car. In this article, we’ll take a look at 10 overlooked services that you should consider implementing into your car care routine, as they can help prolong the life of your vehicle.
From oil changes and fluid replacements to tire rotations and alignment checks, making sure all of these services are performed regularly can mean big savings down the road. So don’t wait to get started today and see just how much longer your car will last.
Are there any specialized treatments to protect your car’s paint and exterior?
Several treatments can extend the life of your car’s paint and exterior. Ceramic coatings, for instance, offer a long-lasting protective layer against environmental contaminants. Paint protection films can guard against chips and scratches, while regular waxing provides a protective shine and prevents fading.
How do fuel system cleaners or treatments help in prolonging the vehicle’s life?
Fuel system cleaners help remove deposits from the fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers. These deposits can affect the engine’s performance over time. By using fuel treatments, you can ensure optimal fuel combustion, better fuel economy, and prolonged engine life.
Are there any benefits to using synthetic oil over conventional oil?
Synthetic oil generally offers better high-temperature stability, enhanced protection against wear, and longer intervals between oil changes compared to conventional oil. Using synthetic oil can extend the life of your engine by reducing friction and providing better overall protection.
How can undercarriage protection help in extending the vehicle’s lifespan?
The undercarriage of your vehicle is exposed to various elements like water, salt, and debris. Over time, this can lead to rust and corrosion. Undercarriage protection treatments, such as rust-proofing or undercoating, provide a protective barrier, safeguarding your car’s underbelly from these elements and extending its lifespan.
How frequently should you rotate the tires, and how does this help in prolonging the life of your vehicle?
It’s typically recommended to rotate your tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles, though you should check your vehicle’s manual for specific guidance. Regular tire rotation ensures even tire wear, which extends the lifespan of the tires, improves gas mileage, ensures balanced handling, and reduces the strain on the drivetrain.
Do advanced driving courses help in extending vehicle life?
Taking advanced driving courses can indirectly extend your vehicle’s life. By learning advanced driving techniques, you can avoid hard braking, sharp turns, and rapid acceleration, all of which can wear out vehicle components faster. Being a more skillful and aware driver can reduce wear and tear on your vehicle.